Monday 12 March 2012

Comparing stop motion animations


Both of these animations are stop motion animations. Stop motion animation is when you take lots of pictures and put them together to make it look like the object or person is moving. It can also be known as fame by frame animation.

The first animation consists of pictures of a person walking round their college. This is quite a simple animation but i think its quite effective. Part of the reason for its effectiveness is down to the fast pace and exciting music it is set to. I think this makes it more funny with a kind of slapstick comedy element to it. Its also quite personal and unique as it features the student throughout the whole thing. Also i like the way other people are in some of the shots. Even though I don't think this was intended i think its actually a really nice effect and it adds to the lively feel of the animation. I also like the way the students combine funny actions and little quirks to make it personal to them. Such as when they lie on the floor. I think this helps to make everything very light humoured and it keeps it interesting. The actual animation is really good and you can tell it has lots of images because the animation seems quite smooth even for a stop motion. This animation has really helped me think about what type of thing i could do for my animation. I really like way the university is showcased in this animation. Also i think it is important to have a unique twist to my animation to make it fun an remember able.

The second animation is a bit more complicated as it adds other elements such as the writing and the hands being shown as well as the 'photos' moving. Its also a lot slower then the first and so give us a gentler, reflective attitude towards it. Despite this i think this animation is still really good. I really like the way the music has been thought about and the animation seems to fit perfectly. Also there is a few little animations within it. Such as the hands playing the piano, and the kinetic typography sequence at the end. I think this adds another dimension to the animation and the combination of techniques helps to take the animation a step further. This has inspired me to try combining techniques within my animation. Also the use of black and white photographs is really effective because it helps us think about old memories. I really like both animations but I think this one has a slight edge over the other because of the combination of the different elements.


I really like the ideas of both these animations because they both have unique bits about them. I like the idea of the first one the most because I like the way they are show casing the whole college. This idea has inspired me to create a stop motion animation that shows of Coulsdon College. However I also like the more personal ideas in the second animation so I want to find a way to incorporate a personal touch into my animation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment